Climate change, resource depletion and energy security
Energy and climate change are two of the issues that will dominate the next century. Right now we need solutions that can help us address both issues at once, whilst allowing our communities to thrive.
There are not many places to turn for answers to these challenges and in the UK we are currently being sold the story that nuclear energy will be the answer, when many other industrialised nations like Germany are abandoning this technology to focus on a 100% renewable future.
We need solar not just because we don’t have many options left – but because there are so many positives.
Solar means an infinite clean, green energy resource
- Every hour enough solar energy lands on the earth to power the whole of mankind’s energy needs for a year
- More than 30% of the UK’s electricity needs could be generated from solar PV rooftop installations alone
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) is a reliable technology that produces zero carbon electricity for up to 50 years
- Solar energy provides protection against rapidly rising oil and gas prices
- The costs of solar PV is falling rapidly
- Solar PV is completely safe – it does not even have moving parts
- Nuclear power is expensive and there is currently no solution to disposal of highly toxic nuclear waste
- Solar PV is a socially acceptable technology with widespread application
- Millions of people across the UK can share in their own locally produced energy
- It is scaleable and helps the UK develop greater energy security
- It is modular and equally effective whether deployed on a small or large scale
- A solar revolution has already occurred in Germany – where there is a similar climate
- A major UK solar industry will create tens of thousands of new green jobs
- Solar PV is easily deployable NOW in large volumes
- Solar PV provides benefits for businesses, individuals and communities
- People actually like solar PV – and want to use it
- We can provide clean green solar energy for years to come
Solar means Energy Democracy
PV allows us to democratise energy and distribute access to energy more fairly. Currently energy supply and energy policy in the UK is dominated by a handful of huge companies. By encouraging people to use PV across the country, we create hundreds and thousands of smaller power providers. You and your roof become a power station, and you are less reliant on highly inefficient and polluting central power stations.
Solar means UK & International Energy Security
North Sea oil and gas reserves are in a state of rapid decline and by only 2016 will be producing 80% less than in 2004. Competition over who has access to the depleting fossil fuel resource increasingly dominates and distorts our international relationships.
The warnings now come thick and fast from respected individuals and mainstream organisations that oil and gas production will peak and decline imminently. Professor Sir David King, for example, is warning of ‘peak oil’ in 2014. Even the Chief Economist at the IEA said recently ’the era of cheap oil is over’.
Solar PV technology will help us to break away from dependence on a finite and increasingly dangerous fuel resource – and fast!